From Supv. Michael Antonovich's office:
The Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a motion by Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich to direct the Department of Public Works to conduct a media and public outreach campaign to ensure the public is alerted in advance of any possible closures of Angeles Crest Highway (SR-2) and the Angeles Forest Highway due to weather or repair work.
Supervisor Antonovich’s motion includes the following recommendations:
- Organize a town hall meeting in the Antelope Valley in December (and publicize the meeting information in advance in the local media) to address the repair work on Angeles Forest Highway associated with the Station Fire, and publicize the meeting in advance in concert with Antelope Valley media outlets;
- Keep the existing “Driver Notification Signs” in place on south-bound State Route 14, and activate them as far in advance as possible to alert motorists to impending temporary closures due to anticipated inclement weather;
- Identify the feasibility of creating a “Road Conditions” AM radio broadcast for information pertaining to the opening and closing of Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest Highways between Antelope Valley and La Canada Flintridge;
- Establish an e-mail alert notification system that will alert Antelope Valley residents (and other interested parties) concerning upcoming closures of Angeles Forest Highway due to anticipated inclement weather;
- Conduct additional media and public outreach concerning road condition information available on the Department’s CARE web-site; and
- Report back to the Board in 30 days concerning progress on these issues.