by Timothy Rutt
The Down Beat Express kicked off the Sheriff Support Group Summer Concert Series with verve as they played big band numbers from the 1930's-1960's in the Farnsworth Park Amphitheater Saturday night.
A larger-than-normal crowd for the first concert enjoyed the band and vocalist Jennifer Gates as they brought back the American classic songbook, even if just for a night. The theme of the concert was "Dance-Dance-Dance," and some brave souls took that chance to show off their swingin' moves.
The concert series continues every Saturday at 7 PM through the summer. More pictures after the jump.
1. With Deputy Greg Gabriel holding the colors, the first concert started on a patriotic note.
2. Sheriff Lt. Angela Shepherd sang the national anthem. Shepherd will return next week to perform with her own group, the classic rocking "Law and Disorder."
3. From left, Sheriff Support Group president Robert Klomburg and Altadena Sheriff Capt. John S. Benedict introduced the band.
4. Vocalist Jennifer Gates sang some classic numbers.
5. A few swingers took to the floor.
5. The 17-piece band filled the amphitheater with sound.
6. Jennifer Gates gave the evening some style and pizzaz with favorite numbers.