Another weekend when there's tooo much to do! So let's get started!
- Webster's Community Pharmacy says "Hello Kitty" today (Friday) with a special back-to-school event from 3-7 PM Friday. Pick up some Hello Kitty merchandise (with a complimentary recyclable tote bag for every purchase of $20 or more). Sign up to win a "Glamor Puss Basket" to start the new semester. Bring the kids over for face-painting, balloon art, and other surprises from "Miss Kitty" from 4-6 PM, and check out the pink refreshment table! The pharmacy is at 2450 N. Lake Avenue, Altadena.
- The Rancho Bar is holding a raffle tonight to support Five Acres, and the big prize is two tickets to Sunday night's benefit David Crosby/Graham Nash concert at the Pasadena Playhouse. Entries will be accepted until 10 PM, and drawing will be at 11 PM. No purchase necessary, but they will be accepting $5 donations, 100% of which will go to Five Acres. Winner must be present at the time of raffle to claim prize, otherwise another ticket/winner will be selected.
- The Sheriff Support Group Summer Concert Series presents Altadena's own "Those Manning Bhoys and Friends" at the Farnsworth Park Amphitheater at 7 PM Saturday. Bring the whole family, grab some dinner from the Park Bench Grill (there'll be food available at the venue, too, from El Patron Mexican Restaurant), and enjoy summer in Altadena in a free outdoor concert setting.
- The Altadena Ale & Wine House, 2329 N. Fair Oaks Ave., will host the wrap party for the Altadena Relay for Life Sunday from 3-5 PM. Bring a potluck dish to share -- all are welcome to attend.
- Webster's Fine Stationers will hold a celebration in conjuction with the final performance of Polly Frost's "Bad Role Models and What I Learned From Them" on Sunday at 5 PM. Following the performance of Frost's one-woman show at the store, there'll be a meet-and-greet with Frost and locally-produced food available. Tickets are $15 (see story below for details). Webster's is at 2450 N. Lake Avenue.
So what else is going on?
Friday, Aug. 23
Parks after Dark wraps up the summer in a final weekend of activities for all ages and interests at Loma Alta Park, 6-9 PM Friday and Saturday.
Saturday, Aug. 24
Ponci Burrito Express grand opening, noon-3 PM at 2291 N. Lincoln Avenue. Details here.
Parks After Dark concludes for the summer at Loma Alta Park, 6-9 PM.
Bulgarini Gelato Summer Movie Night: La Comunidad (Common Wealth - Spanish). A frenetic black comedy set in a decrepit old house in the center of Madrid. One of the house's new residents is a real estate agent who has taken an apartment to revive her sagging marriage. During an investigation of the upstairs apartment, firemen discover a man's rotting corpse. Julia discovers almost $15 million hidden under the floor boards. She decides to take the winnings and run, but while removing the cash, meets her neighbor who quickly becomes suspicious of Julia's activities. It turns out that everyone in the building knew about the money and agreed to share it, a plan severely compromised by Julia's desire to keep the money for herself. After inviting Julia to a welcome party held by the residents' association, her neighbors go to extreme lengths to get the money, and plenty of cartoon-colored murder and mayhem ensues. Movies are always free. Dinner will be offered - by reservation only - for $13.50, which will include a homemade pasta dish, salad, and a drink. Reservations may be made by Friday (that’’s today!) by email a email@example.com or by calling (626) 376-7662. Dinner is at 7:30, movie starts at dark. Bulgarini Gelato is at 749 E. Altadena Drive.
Folly Bowl: Altadena's other outdoor venue features multiinstrumentalist Kevin Mitchell and the screening of two films by experimental documentarian Laura Kraning: "Vineland" and "Devil's Gate." Suggested donation is only $5 for the evening. The Folly Bowl is at 1601 East Loma Alta Drive.
Sunday, Aug. 25