from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Halloween doesn’t have to be scary if you practice basic, common-sense safety. Fun times and happy memories can still be made if you follow a few simple steps. Tips for young and old to enjoy the holiday can be as easy to remember as:
- Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others to see you.
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk with a group.
- Party safely. Don’t drink and drive. Get a ride home from a sober friend or a taxi.
- Prepare for chilly weather while trick-or-treating by warm piece of clothing.
- Wear clothing that’s easy to see at night while trick-or-treating, like yellow or something light-colored or reflective.
- Have a cellphone with you while trick-or-treating, in case of emergency.
- Always keep a safe distance from candles or other fire sources. Dress in fire proof costumes or treated with a fire retardant.
- Look both ways before crossing any streets, especially if trick-or-treating at night.
- Location. Know where you’ve parked or walked to avoid getting lost, especially if in an unfamiliar neighborhood. If your kids are going alone, know their route before they leave. Have them check in regularly by phone and give their current location.
- Obey all laws, good manners and curfews.
- Walk on sidewalks, wherever available. To avoid traffic accidents, do not run from house to house or dash into the street.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats from people you know and trust. Note the address from which each treat was received.
- Examine all treats for tampering, choking hazards and allergens.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or vehicle while trick-or-treating. Teach kids not to engage strangers if they go trick-or-treat alone.
Have an enjoyable time celebrating Halloween, but remember to still be cautious of your surroundings. If you see something, say something.
Partner to prevent or report crime by contacting your local Sheriff’s station. Or if you wish to remain Anonymous, call “LA Crime Stoppers” by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org .